I like making easy things that look more difficult than they really are, and here is another perfect example of that: The Striped Paper Mache deer head. Looks difficult but was easy to complete in a few steps.
You can find them online or at most craft stores. They are very light weight, and easy to paint, and bonus, really affordable. I think I paid around $15-20 for the head.
My friend Becky had asked me to make her a striped deer head for her living room months ago and when I came across the paper mache version, I knew exactly what to do with it.
First off, I lightly sanded off any chunky, rough edges. Then, I got out a can of white spray paint (mine had primer already mixed in) and gave it 2 light coats.
Washi tape. This stuff is pretty versatile. Instead of using painter’s tape or masking tape (neither which I had) I used washi tape to tape off my lines. It stuck pretty well to the paint without removing the under layers when I peeled it off, and I had a few different widths to choose from which made me happy I didn’t have to trim a wider tape. Bonus! It looked cool as I was taping off my lines! Because the paper mache was slightly uneven and not smooth, I had to keep an eye on each line edge to make sure the tape was flush. Taping the antlers was a time-consuming PITA, but making sure the tape was even paid off in the long run.
After all of the black was dry, I peeled off the washi tape slowly. In areas where I painted the black too thick, it had the tendency to lift off with the tape, so don’t over coat your paint. I went back and touched up these areas once all of the tape was removed.
Once all of the lines were dry, I took a gold Sharpie and drew a thick, but loose line of marker between each black and white stripe to funk it up a bit. Since the paper mache was uneven, it was a slow process but again, take your time and it will be worth it. The sharpie dried within a couple of minutes after applying so this step was the quickest.
Then I glued the head to a felty piece of fabric that was cut to size and glued the fabric to a piece of wood with a hanger attached to the back. I don’t have a detailed picture of that step. Sorry! But I can tell you I used a combination of Fabri-Tac glue and hot glue and had to hold the pieces together for what seemed like FOREVER until the glue was dry and the head was secured. Then to make sure it was really glued, I covered the base of the neck with a pillow and propped my camera bag on it to put weight on it and let it sit over night. I did not want this head falling off the base. In the morning, it was good to go.
Then I dropped it off at Becky’s house via a “pop-in”. 🙂 But that was her fault for not answering her phone…I was too excited to give it to her, I just couldn’t wait to set up a time to drop it off. I’m a giver, what can I say!
She hung it over the fireplace and sent me some pics. Her house is gorgeous. I keep asking if I can move in. She keeps saying no. RUDE.
I LOVE stripes and how it fits in at Becky’s house. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!